Saturday, November 29, 2008

One year ago today....

There have been two messages on our answering machine that have been there for the past year. I can't bring myself to erase them.

First message:
Hi, this is Pam with CCAI with the waiting child program. I'm going to try to reach you on your cell phone....
Second message (caught when answering machine picked up just before Baba got to the phone):
Mama: Hi (kinda misty)

Baba: Hi (rushed and out of breath)

Mama: Hi. Are you ready to be a daddy?

Baba: Uh, what's happening?

Mama: Ha ha. You're a daddy. (sob)

Baba: What are you talking about honey?

Mama: We have a son.

Baba: How do you know that?

Mama: My cell phone rang and it was CCAI and...

Baba: Are you serious?

Mama: I'm so excited. His name is Wei Jian Tong. He was born August 27 of 2005.

Baba: Is this Karen?
At 6:23 pm on Novemer 29, 2007, my cell phone rang and in an instant our lives were changed as we were connected with this sweet little boy. Baba was the first to open that blessed email with Micah's file. This is the face he saw:
Today I can barely remember a time when I didn't know our Micah. Memory is sweet that way.

To all those parents waiting to be matched with your child, my heart goes out to you. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that once you've met that child, the wait melts into misty memory.

15 comments:

Margaret M said...

Such a sweet post. I have tears in my eyes!

FHL said...

I so look forward to that day! Thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs,
M~
I had forgotten you used CCAI-it's right there in the sidebar...but I'm a marshmallow brain :o)

Donna said...

I still remember the excitment in your face!

Katie said...

That is such a great story! I just LOVE referral stories. Happy referral anniversary!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful memory!

Unknown said...

OH great, im crying at work again...YOu are a beautiful family

Anonymous said...

How very sweet.
You could always do like we did, and make a video of clipits and pictures, and have the voice mails in the background.
You can watch it at the link below.

Anonymous said...

errrr....the link above, not below...click on the name tag

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. It was especially comforting as we are a family affected by the Hope For Children closing. This has been an extremely difficult week as we've been searching for a new agency. We know that once we meet our child, the wait will melt away. Thanks for reminding us of that!

The Evans Family said...

Isn't it amazing how you can remember, in vivid detail, learning about your child, but having NO memory of your life before them???

It just seems so blurry the years that I was childless and prayed each New Year's Eve that in the coming year I'd be a MOM!

Now I've been blessed with Four wonderful kiddos and my prayers are now full of thanks!

Jen & Bill said...

congratulations on the one year referral. Happy Day. I remember telling you will be next!

RamblingMother said...

that conversation is the funniest! happy referral day.

Heather said...

These wonderful memories are so amazing to look back on! I remember how happy you were at FF when you told me about Micah! You both were on cloud 9!

Kevin, Jake and Violet said...

Congratulations on a great year. Looks like Thanksgiving was a great family time for you all.

We will never forget when we got the call about Jacob.

Kevin and Violet

Steph said...

That second message brought tears to my eyes. Nothing like that moment when you say "mommy" or "daddy" outloud. It was such a different feeling once there was a little person to associate with it! Congrats on the real 1 year anniversary of becoming parents! So glad Micah found you! :-)