Thursday, June 19, 2008


I'm having trouble getting access to blog from here so I'm going to try to post from my email. 
We got up dark and early this morning and arrived at Scottish Rite promptly at 6:00 am.  After waiting a little they got us back in a room and took vitals from a screaming Micah.  He finally calmed down after receiving his happy drugs at 7:00 and at 7:30 he was taken back to the OR.  The procedures took about two hours and our darling son has a newly constructed palate, a neatly trimed peepee and yes, an obturator.  Well, not technically an obturator, but a stint that was fashioned during his surgery and stitched into place.  This should protect his fresh palate and keep him from opening his stitches.  He came out of recovery wearing no-no's - here they call them Welcome Sleeves.  Let me tell you they are NOT WELCOME! 
He wanted to tell us that his mouth felt funny and that there was something in his foot (the IV).  After he was convinced that we knew that these things were happening, he seemed to accept their existance.  The pulse-ox thing that glowed red on his toe was another story, so that's been banished.
He is still on heavy duty pain meds every couple of hours.  When the meds wear off he is pretty uncomfortable.  Mama made a deal with Micah to take off his no-no's if he will keep his hands out of his mouth and so far he has kept his side of the bargain.  We are taking turns curling up in bed with him and he sleeps off and on.  He has already comandeered a wagon and seems to be content to do laps around the patient wing. 
Dr. Thomas came to check on him and is very happy with where the obturator is and how the palate looks beneath it.  Someone told me that his breath would be horrid, but that is an understatement.  He does have quite a bit of blood coming from his mouth and nose.  He's talking a little bit already.  He'd really rather be anyplace but here.
Thanks to everyone who is praying for Micah.  Thank you to Pauline for coming down and keeping our minds occupied during the surgery.  I'll try to keep you updated here, but it might be spotty. 


Lissa said...

Gladto hear he's doing well. I'll definately be keeping you in my thoughts.

Donna said...

Sounds like it all went well, and I'm impressed that Micah already wants to be wheeled around and is talking a bit. It's an advantage that he's older and understands about not putting his fingers in his mouth! Glad they were able to make a make-shift obturator, too. You're almost through the worst day, so congrats :)

Mark, Rebecca and Sophia said...

Praying for a speedy recovery. Hang in there. I can imagine that this must be a difficult experience.

amy said...

YOu know I love you all! See ya in a few minutes..hahaha

FHL said...

What a hard day for your little man. I am so glad that the Dr's were able to fashion an obturator for him.


The Straight's said...

Glad everything went well. Thank heavens he is sleeping some. If he is asleep then he is not in pain! Thanks for posting for all of us. Praying for a speedy recovery!

Amy said...

Poor guy - I hope he feels better soon!